Popular Posts

Jun 6, 2017

The Uglies...In More Ways than One





Demo is moving along, but we didn't quite make Don's June 1 goal for completion...




We're kinda stuck in this really ugly phase.  The "guts" of the house need to be pulled out and disposed of, and the roof needs to come off, but it seems like circumstances are conspiring against us of late...





...For one, the weather!  It seems to rain...fairly heavily...every couple days, lately.  So that even on those in-between days the ground is...shmeary...and we get the truck stuck or tear up the yard while trying to move materials around the property.

...Then, there are the things in life that require our attention, like Don's job, finding a local bank, transferring driver's licenses  (a nightmare we're working through at present), updating phones, obtaining internet services, grocery shopping every 4 days because there's not much storage space in campers, taking our wet laundry to the laudromat because it started raining once again, grrr...









...It's not all boring stuff, though.  We've taken some time to visit family and friends,  share our vision with those that stop in here to see us, meet some of our neighbors and exploring our new area.













Then, there's the time it takes to work through the financial end of this adventure.  Gathering all necessary documents, filling out applications for lines of credit and such with the bank and Lowe's, meeting with the kind folks at the both places about our project; then we wait...wait for notification to come in and sign more papers, so that eventually they will release us to get this remodel really rolling.



I feel pretty darn useless right now, though.  We're in a destructive phase that requires brawn and muscle..and no significant dust or mold allergies....not really my department!  Additionally, I've been experiencing gastro-intestinal issues for the last week or so - probably a combination of stress and adjusting to a new environment - I am definitely the weakest link in the family in this regard, sadly!  At any rate, it's pretty exhausting...yuck!

I thought that by early-June I would've worked out everything in regards to my PA cosmetology license. I never could've predicted that the PA cos board and the agency they contract to handle applicants' paperwork would be so inept and disorganized, nor did I have any clue the amount of protocol and "red tape" that would be involved in transferring here...

...You'd think obtaining a cosmetology license in PA was a matter of national security - I'm surprised they haven't asked for a DNA sample, yet!




I was finally able to schedule my exam, which is a requirement for transfers with less than 2 years of experience in the field.  Sadly, the soonest I can get in (without having to drive 2+ hours to an out-of-area test center) is July 13th.

I expected to be searching for a job in my field by now, but since that's not possible, I am looking for any decent, "appropriate-for-me" part-time job, so I can at least contribute something financially to our adventure.


Here's my shameless plug:  If you're in my area, and would like a haircut or color service or even a conditioning treatment or updo for an event, I will gladly do that for you for a trade or a "monetary gift"of your choosing - that's allowed. 

That gives me opportunity to keep up my skills and techniques! Your house or mine for simple services, but color services take lots of water to rinse, so that would have to be your house.

I've cut Don, Will, Nate and Grace's hair recently, and Rosie's will be due for trim soon...as well as doing some "fancy hair" for a few friends...











Well, at least, I can say that the dogs are absolutely lovin' life right now!  Because we're situated so far off the road (and, we live in little campers!) they get to be outside ALL...DAY...LONG!  At least, so long as it's not pouring. Woohoo!  And, while our goofy labs would be halfway across Berks County if left unattended outside for more than 5 minutes, these two stay quite close to the campsite or within 20 feet of us at all times - it's great!


The one big challenge with this? 



...Penny, in particular, is not very discriminating when "tasting" things in her environment.  Therefore, she occasionally leaves piles of vomit...right along our path to the barn...OYE!





Oh!  And, here are a few photos from our little hike this past weekend...



Since this park is less than 3 miles from us, I'm sure we'll walk the dogs there, and Rosie will trail ride there, quite regularly!



All-in-all, we're doin' alright, though.  Enjoying our new grill, soaking up the sun when it makes an appearance, staying focused on our goal:  hosting Thanksgiving dinner in our new house!  

We also want to host a big open house for all our family, friends, and neighbors in early- December, but that idea has barely taken shape in our minds at this point!




This weekend is supposed to be dry and sunny, so I suspect Don, and whomever shows up to help, will get quite a bit accomplished.  I'll post an update on Sunday or Monday!


2 comments:

  1. Keep your chin up!

    God knows the timing - trust His plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We should get together again soon. We all had such fun last time! When we get some decent weather, you'll all have to come up for a bbq. Maybe the Solensky's will come over, too. Don mentioned he hasn't seen Tim in awhile!

      Delete