Popular Posts

Jan 1, 2017

New Year, Fresh Start

Well, here we are....on the threshold of 2017!  2016 was chock-full of ups and downs, wasn't it?  Many surprises, some good, some bad.  Some doors opened and some doors closed.


2016 presented many of us with loss...loss of loved ones and beloved pets, loss of employment, loss of many cultural icons for us children of the 70's and 80's. Loss of relationships due to strong political opinions. Diagnosis of an illness that threatens a comfortable life....You get my point.

We could choose to dwell on all that...that... crap.  Today, we could bitterly say goodbye to 2016, licking our wounds, feeling like victims...

...Or, we can take a look at all the things we've learned from the tough stuff AND the good stuff... all the good memories we've collected from sweet little "everyday" moments to those special highlights of our year....

And, KEEP MOVING FORWARD.












I'm not really into the whole making New Year resolutions-thing, but I have made a few for this year:


  •  Listen more, talk less.
  •  Don't fret about tomorrow (or next week), but be present TODAY.
  •  Notice and appreciate the small things, just as much as the big things.
  •  Truly notice and love all the dear individuals in my life, even those that I only interact with       for a few moments and may never see again.
  •  Pray often and spend more time in God's Word than I did last year.  
  •  Keep the lines of communication between me and my Savior wide open!


Loss and pain are simply one component of this life.  How we choose to deal with it is up to us.  I choose HOPE.

Our family will keep moving forward.  As many of you know, we are going to be moving back to Pennsylvania in 2017.  Exactly when remains to be seen, but the goal is spring.  We decided to do this after learning that Don's mom has Huntington's disease.

Don believes he has found the right property for us near Reading, PA, which is roughly 35 miles from our old stomping grounds.  Given the cost of real estate in Chester and Lancaster Counties, we decided Berks County was worth a look.  I'm good with that!  A 50-minute drive to see family and friends sure as heck beats nearly 5 hours!

If the weather cooperates, I'll get to see this property Don likes in a couple of weeks.

Our house has been on the market for nearly three weeks, now.  We've had some interest.  In fact, a showing tomorrow, I believe!  No offers, yet, though.  

I graduate from my cosmetology program later this week!  Looking forward to my time as a stylist at Mastercuts Salon in Ithaca.  While the 40-minute drive is definitely not ideal, I really like the women with whom I work, and I know I am learning so much from them.  I will be alittle sad to leave them when we move, but I'm trusting that God will open another door for me.

Once again, both of my girls are doing home education.  Public high school turned out not to be what Grace thought it would.  Everyone is much happier with this situation.



While Nathaniel, who currently works in waste water management in PA, is eagerly awaiting the rest of us moving back there, William has chosen to enlist in the U.S. Army! He is in the process of choosing his specialty job, then we'll know when he'll be leaving for basic training.  







Classified Tech, aka Isaac, is growing well. (If you are unfamiliar with this gem of a story, please refer to June 2016 in my previous blog!) He's such a handsome horse!  

We arrived at this home with 4 horses, we'll be leaving with three. The only common denominator is Lexie!  Sassy and Isaac are 2015-2016 additions.





Sadly, Ginger passed away yesterday. Not exactly sure what/why it happened. Although she's had some gastro-intestinal problems more frequently in the last 8 months or so, we don't believe that is what caused her passing.  

Because of her very rapid decline over 48 hours, and the fact that she was MIA for about 20 minutes a few days ago, we believe she ate something toxic on our neighbor's property.  

She was a faithful canine companion for nearly 13 years, so this is quite a blow to our family.  We are all grieving her loss right now, especially me and Mac.

We came to NY with two canine companions, and hopefully, we'll leave here with two: Mac and Tig. Unfortunately, Mac has been vomiting for the last 24 hours, too!  Doesn't seem to be as bad as Ginger, but we will probably be taking a run to the vet today.  Please say a pray for us. Losing one dog is hard enough, I can't even bear the thought of losing two so suddenly.

Lord, have mercy, please!





In this new blog, I'll share our progress with the move, my daily life, our hikes, special occasions... my thoughts and reflections on this messy life... And, of course, PHOTOS!  (If you are an animal lover and/or outdoors lover, I share many photos of both!)  

So, join me for the next year or so...for the sequel to my blog, Westbrook Farm!




4 comments:

  1. Love you guys! I'm praying that Mack will be okay. So sad to lose Ginger. You had her before we knew you, Mack and Tig have come since we've been family.

    Thankful for you, Don and the 'kids.' May 2017 be full of rich blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog and keeping "in touch" with you in this way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, in just a few more months, I'll be able to catch up with you in person more often!

      Delete