Popular Posts

Jan 18, 2017

The Visionary Has A Vision

Yup.  You read that correctly...my visionary husband is at it again!



When he found this property in central New York he had a vision for it.  I couldn't really see it at first....okay, for the first year and half!  



While the house was in pretty good shape, the surrounding property and barn were quite a disaster.




We worked steadily towards his vision for a bit, then I began to see what he saw.  Now, I'm quite fond of this peaceful little slice of heaven, and I hope someone else will appreciate it as much as I do.

December 26, 2016


Meanwhile, down in Pennsylvania, Don believes he's found the perfect property for us only about 45 minutes from my in-laws and parents...only you have to look past the surface...again.  He promises me it's going to be our own customized, lovely 7.2 acre-haven... if I just give him a chance...if I can just wrap my head around his vision.



I used to become greatly overwhelmed by this.  In the past, his visions and plans sometimes got very messy...sometimes didn't work out for the best.

But, the worst thing you can do to a visionary is block them from pursuing their ideas...from realizing their visions...insist that they be a "Steady Eddie".




And, since one of things I have always admired...adored... about Don is his ability to see what something or someone can become, and his passion to make it happen...




With age, experience, wisdom, and a much deeper faith in Christ, he takes much more calculated risks nowadays.

This one is another biggie... however, I have a sense of vision about it as well after he showed me the property this weekend.  I can see the amazing potential it has.

But, there's gonna be ALOT of work to reach it!


At just over 7 acres it is spacious and open, but bordered by trees that make it feel very private...tucked away from the rest of the world.  However, it is just a few miles from a major shopping area and many businesses.






This time, the property needs only a bit of clean up, mowing, updating fencing, some minor work on the adorable 3-stall barn outside...But, the house?  Yeah, that needs to be gutted...completely remodeled.  However, for the cost of the property, we should be able to afford to do it modestly, and do it well.  




Don met the current owner, the son of the older couple who lived here their entire adult lives.  He inherited it when his mom passed away.  He thinks Don is just the person to bring his parents' farmette back to what it once was many years ago.  In fact, there are a couple of old photos still hanging in the house depicting its beauty in the 1970's!






























Still waiting for an offer on our NY property, though.

We're in this...this...holding pattern right now. We can feel that we are of the edge of some major changes...some expected, and some unexpected. It's like teetering on the top crest of a roller coaster, anticipating the drop.  When it happens, just like it often does for us Westbrooks, things will fall into place quickly, like a near-vertical drop...well, sometimes it's more of a corkscrew (If you've been around long enough, you know what I mean!).



I said before that I would share the good, the bad and the ugly side of this journey, so here we go...right?  

This just may become our "dream home".  Don't know, yet.  Just....waiting.  (A little torturous for us "firstborns", lacking in the patience department!)



In the meantime, Don works hard at his new career in PA, loving all the opportunities to problem-solve and apply the knowledge and skills he's accumulated over the last 20+ years.  And, I am working diligently at becoming the best hairstylist I can be, as well as homeschooling the girls.  It is very challenging, only seeing one another on the weekends, but we will endure!

A friend of mine posted this scripture on Facebook recently and it was a great reminder to me, so I thought I'd share it here:
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Jesus Christ.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think on these things." 
Philippians 4:6-8

2 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes, Jen! Don told us a bit about the property and it can be done! I love that you 'get' your visionary man! That support is invaluable to we visionaries! :)

    We love you guys and will pitch in to help - just say the word!

    Praying more earnestly about the sale of the NY property!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna! I'll count on that! Looking forward to visiting with you in the near future, my Friend.

      Delete