Popular Posts

Feb 19, 2018

I Don't Know Where To Start!



My week in Guatemala with Grace and our team of 16 from Timberline Church was...


...Eye-opening.
...Amazing.
...Gut-wrenching.
...Fulfilling.
...Thought-provoking.
...Convicting.













God used the week to create in me an awareness of and sensitivity towards "the least of these" (Matt.25:40).  He empowered me to DO something about their plight in a very personal way - not only by building classrooms and bathrooms, but by building relationships.













He showed me the value of generosity (in love and with resources, like money and materials),  and reinforced the importance of extending grace and respect to my fellow man.  I now have a very concrete image in my mind of why I give - both money and time, in church and, most importantly, to hurting people outside of the church.













"Stop waiting to hear the voice of God and LISTEN to what he has already told you to do.  He has already spoken to you through the Bible."  Carlos Vargas

Indeed, Jesus Christ has commanded us to meet the needs of others," looking after the orphans and widows in their distress..." (James 1:27)



I knew, even before this trip, how wealthy America is, comparatively...how wealthy I am...but, now I have seen poverty beyond what I imagined.








I thought I had a pretty good understanding of it because I have volunteered, on numerous occasions, with various local organizations, such as Water Street Rescue Mission and Loaves and Fishes serving meals to poor people, I have donated and distributed clothing, locally, and even helped out at a home for young moms and pregnant teens many years ago.  But, some of the things I witnessed this week...


Man!  I sure was naive!

And, I STILL have so much to learn!

I would sometimes see those commercials on televisions...You know the ones I'm talking about...soliciting "child sponsorship"?

I wondered, "Is the need for real?"

Now, I know, firsthand - YUP.  Sure is...




...I mean, in America, there is sooo much available to us...many resources...even for our poor.  In Guatemala, there is no real infrastructure.  No cohesiveness.  Transportation is lacking, government medical facilities rarely have adequate equipment, staff or even space. There is no "welfare system" or government-backed programs for those who are struggling.  Poverty is very much the norm, rather than the exception.  Babies, elderly, and the disabled, in particular, die of malnourishment regularly...not because they are prideful or don't know where to go for help...but because there truly is NO help.  Human trafficking grows, unchecked.


Many villages are "off the beaten path".  In most cases, the men walk several miles to one of the few "main roads" to get on a bus or in the bed of a truck to ride for an hour or more to work for very little pay in the melon fields or other farm work, just so their family members can have some food and clothing. Most have little or no education.

Many villages do not have a reliable source of clean water, though their government is trying to do something about that with the help of several U.S.-based humanitarian organizations.

And, yet, the lovely Guatemalan people whom I met this week were hard-working, joyous, grateful and loving!  I don't think I met or saw anyone grumbling with discontentment or whining or unwilling to pitch in with the building projects - I admit, I felt greatly convicted by Wednesday.



The children's education is of utmost importance to the people of Guatemala.  Some communities realize that the only way out of poverty is to educate the young people so they can go out and find better jobs. The government does help somewhat with supplies and teachers when a village asks.  But this help is pathetically limited.




Our church became involved with the "Village Transformation" project established by WorldHelp and Esperanza de Vida (Hope of Life) both faith-based humanitarian organizations whose goals are creating sustainable communities, and sharing the message of the gospel.  More about that in another post!


About a year ago, when Marlin, our pastor, first met with the leaders of our village, Piedras Negras,  up in the mountains of Guatemala - a very windy, bumpy 2-hour drive from the city of Zacapa -they discussed the needs of the community.   The church set about raising money, primarily through our weekly "bucket offering", to meet those needs.  These transformation projects cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000+.  And, they take place over approximately 5 or 6 years.




The village's schools, consisting of a primary school, an elementary school and a middle school, were bursting at the seams with children and in pretty rough shape. There was only one bathroom between the three schools.

...Now, keep in mind, when I say "school", do not picture our American schools, but rather think of a couple of simple rectangular concrete block structures with a dirt "courtyard" in-between where the children played during recess.  






Back in September, the first team traveled to Guatemala to help with the first new classroom.


Last week we helped them build two more classrooms, two bathrooms, and a playground, thanks to the generosity of our church family and a private benefactor in our community.

We also hosted a Bible school sharing stories, songs, crafts, and activities for the women and children on 4 days, and visited individual homes within the community sharing some practical gifts, offering Spanish Bibles to those who wanted one, and praying for the needs of each family.





There are many more trips to Guatemala for Timberline because we made a commitment.  These Village Transformation projects call for a minimum commitment of 3 years, but usually the partnership continues for 5 to 8 years!







I made many new friends, despite the language barrier, and I really hope to be included in a few more trips to come!  Grace hopes to go back as well!  Let me know if you are interested in supporting us or any of the upcoming projects in any way.






If you want to hear/see more about my experience, up close and personally, don't hesitate to ask.  I would love to get together with you and share!

I can't possibly collect all my thoughts and reflections...and photos (I have nearly 180!)...in just one blog post, so stay tuned - I will share more in the next one...or two!



No comments:

Post a Comment