Popular Posts

Jul 17, 2017

Getting Ready to Roll








Ahhh, Summertime!  We're nearly halfway through it already....Oye!











My new favorite TV show, thanks to our Hulu subscription?

                      "Fixer-Upper", of course!

We don't do cable (haven't had it for several years), and so, while I'd heard of Chip and Johanna Gaines, I'd never seen their show...until two weeks ago.  Last week, while "lying low", I binged on the first season!


Even Don has joined me, so we can discuss our likes and dislikes...what we envision for our own fixer-upper project.  Watching "Fixer-Upper" has helped to make this whole thing a bit more concrete for me...shown me the possibilities.  Plus, the Gaines' are quite entertaining!

Our financing seems to be worked out...a couple more t's to cross and i's to dot - next week, God-willing, we'll be ready to truly DIG IN.  After a number of delays, challenges, and frustrations, this home resurrection is about to get rolling!

So, here's where the house is right now:





I admit - I'm nervous about the whole thing.  I've heard a few horror stories of home remodels gone wrong...taking 10 months instead of  3 or 4, building materials not delivered in a timely fashion, contractors not showing up when scheduled...Yikes!  Well, here's hoping for relatively smooth sailing over these next few months. 🙏




While the remodel will be completed with brand new materials, Don is trying to recycle as many materials as possible from this house.

We hope to use some of what we have to build a couple of run-in sheds for the horses and a shop for Don's tools and equipment.












In fact, Don and Rosie re-purposed some of the old framing wood to build jump standards for Rosie.

She and Lexie need some new challenges to jump around the property!




They built enough standards for a complete jump course.  Now, we just need the cross rails to go with them!













Grace and I have been exploring the trails near us, during Rosie's convalescence from not just swimmer's ear, but an inner ear infection as well.  A 2-mile drive gets us to one of four beautiful trailheads. Love it!













As pretty as the area is now, I know it's going to be gorgeous in the fall with the changing foliage. We're looking forward to it!


In the next few weeks, so much will be happening with our house.  I'll keep posting our progress as time allows.  I begin next week as a part-time stylist at the Holiday Hair salon near me, but I still plan to take as many pictures of this project as I can - I'm sure the transformation will be amazing!  I'll share as much as I'm able!








1 comment: