Popular Posts

Jul 2, 2017

Take a Walk With Me



I was an avid horseback rider not so many years ago, as some of you know. I began as an adult trail rider at 28, and by 34 I was getting into dressage and jumping, along with the trail riding, thanks to my former neighbor and dear friend, Pam W.  I rode almost daily...many hours per week.

After about a year in New York, I began having some health issues.

Riding became increasingly uncomfortable for me.  I sold my horse.

As a person who enjoys the great outdoors, and likes...needs... to be moving and active for both physical and mental health, I had to find something else to do.  Yoga is great, but its not enough.


I turned to hiking with my dogs...long walks in the woods.  Well, only 2 to 5 miles, usually, but I still consider that a hike when I factor in the steep hills! Even in 10+ inches of snow, I'd strap on my snow-shoes and go.

Many days, we stayed on our own 23 acres and the connecting trails on either side of our property, but we also found game lands and parks in the area.  We avoided the busy road at the end of our driveway.





Here, our property is very different - 8 acres of open pasture and a hay field.  A long driveway, shared by five neighbors.




My daily hiking fell by the wayside when we moved.  For some reason, I kinda felt paralyzed.


Oh sure, after a few days here I walked the short, mowed loop the encircles about 6 of the 8 acres a couple times per week, but I'd become so accustomed to avoiding the busy road in front of my house in New York that it took me nearly 6 weeks here to finally realize how seldom-traveled are many of our nearby roads.  In fact, other than residents, I see very few cars on many of these good ole' PA back roads!



No, it's not the same as hiking in the woods, and I have to keep the dogs on leashes, but I have begun walking regularly again.  Phew!

And, the girls and I do still try to find new hiking trails within reasonable driving distance about once a week.







I took my camera with me the other day, so I could give you a glimpse of my "neighborhood":








Not sure exactly how far the dogs and I walked yesterday, but it had to be about two or three miles.  I'm re-building slowly.  The dogs were exhausted!

It feels great, physically, and it improves my mood and outlook immediately when I take the time to walk!






Not much happening on the house this week, though Don and Nate did finish disassembling the roof. Additionally, we submitted the paperwork necessary to secure financing on Friday.

I finally got my PA driver's license!  And, I'm in the process of finding a salon that fits our current needs and my career goals.  Less than 2 weeks until my PA cosmetology exam, so I continue reviewing my materials.



Hope you enjoyed this little tour of my neighborhood.  We're heading to the lake for a swim today! 

I hope you have a fantastic...or, at least a restful...Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment