Popular Posts

Oct 20, 2017

Impromptu Field Trip!

In my last blog post, I mentioned that Rosie and I, along with Tig and Penny planned to enjoy the beautiful October afternoon with a hike at French Creek State Park, a place I haven't visited since I was in high school!  In fact, Don and I went canoeing there on a date in the spring of my senior year! 


I had forgotten that in the heart of that 7,500+ acres is the national historic site, Hopewell Furnace, an early American "iron plantation" which operated from 1771 to 1883.  

I had visited this national park many...many...years ago in my childhood, and I recall picking apples in the orchard nestled into this 800+ acre national park site.






When we arrived at French Creek, Google Maps took us to the parking lot of Hopewell Furnace Visitor's Center.  Rosie and I were pleasantly surprised to find that dogs on leashes are welcome on the plantation, so we decided to explore a bit!
























Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day....


















What a gorgeous fall day!  We had such a nice afternoon together - one I will cherish for years to come.  Since French Creek and Hopewell Furnace are just a 25-minute drive from us AND dogs are welcome, we'll be hiking here regularly!  I love the history AND the surrounding natural beauty of Pennsylvania.  Hiking is good for body and soul...










"There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.  I love not Man the less, but nature more."  Lord Byron 



Next blog post:  An update on our preparations for our new house.  Watch for it in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, get out and enjoy nature!

1 comment: